PR Renewal/ PRTD

Your PR card (PR Renewal) needs to be valid when you show it. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You are still a permanent resident if your card expires.

Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board.


If your permanent resident card (PR card) is expired or will expire in less than 9 months, you can apply for a new card. The new card will have a new expiration date. Most new PR cards are valid for 5 years.

To be eligible for a PR card, you need to

  • be a permanent resident and
  • submit your application in Canada

If you’re outside Canada and your PR card is expired, you need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return.

We can help you with the following:

  • did not receive your card within 180 days of immigrating,
  • are renewing your card,
  • are replacing a lost, stolen or damaged card, or
  • are changing your gender designation on your card.
  • are changing the name on your PR card to reclaim your Indigenous name
  • to get a PRTD if you are outside Canada and your PR card is expired